The upcoming holiday season is one of the hardest times of year to try and keep up with fitness and nutrition goals. We are surrounded by temptation virtually every day, whether it is the massive Thanksgiving spread, co-workers bringing in dessert leftovers to the office, Christmas holidays parties and hanging out with family and friends for extended amounts of time. With that in mind, here are a few tips to keep yourself in check as the weather turns cold:
· Have a seat — If you are standing you are normally in a hurry to eat quickly. Have a seat and enjoy your meal!
· Protein and veggies first – Both are more filling than the starchy carbs that we normally eat, and they will help let you know when you are full.
· Chew your food, and put your fork down between bites — This will not only help you slow down and thus not over-consume, it will also help your body break down your meal.
· Try not to combine alcohol and desserts — Combing alcohol and sugar creates the perfect storm for a holiday hangover and is tough on your stomach.
· Stay hydrated – Staying hydrated is important, especially if you are drinking alcohol.
Little things make a big difference, so the more you can pay attention to your meals, the better off you will be for the start of 2017.
Author: Adam Marks, NASM Master Trainer and HealthEase Site Manager