Busy schedules, low energy levels, and not knowing what to do for dinner all lead to ordering off the takeout menu or eating less than healthy options during the workweek. Check out the tips below to help make healthy cooking a breeze.
Prep Work Shortcuts:
- Buy precut, prepackaged veggies or buy the toppings from the grocery salad bar and throw into stir fries, omelets, quesadillas, or use for kabobs
- Use frozen veggies – try them roasted or sautéed straight from the freeze or steam them according to package directions
- Use beans or tofu as a no-cook protein source for your meal
- Buy pre-portioned chicken breasts, pre-formed ground beef or turkey patties, precooked shrimp, etc. to cut down your meat prep
Embrace Kitchen Tools and Gadgets:
- Use your Crockpot to do the cooking while you’re at work:
- Cook chicken or turkey breasts and shred them to add to salads, quesadillas, pizzas, burritos and wraps, or sandwiches and burgers
- Cook ground beef, chicken, or turkey to use in tacos, sloppy Joes, burritos bowls, or add to lasagna
- Use a food processor or mandolin to chop and slice your veggies, herbs, and fruits in no time
- Use tools such as cherry pitters, apple slicers, egg slicers (also great for mushrooms), garlic presses, and other time savers to cut down on tedious chopping and dicing
Use convenience foods when you can:
- Buy a rotisserie chicken instead of cooking your own to add to your favorite recipe. Just be sure to remove the skin
- Layer frozen raviolis (with spinach!) with pasta sauce, lean ground beef or turkey, and low fat mozzarella to make a super quick lasagna
- Buy precooked whole wheat pizza crust to make homemade pizzas
- Use frozen, microwavable rice as a side or to add to casseroles, stir fries, burritos, or soups Try these combinations to get your creative juices flowing!
- Add shredded chicken and black beans to rice and prepared salsa for a Southwestern quick meal (omit chicken for a vegetarian meal). Bump up the fiber with frozen corn and bell peppers!
- Toss precooked shrimp with lime juice, cilantro, and prepared mango salsa. Wrap in a whole wheat tortilla and top with pre-sliced red cabbage for easy shrimp tacos.
- Cook ground turkey meatballs in your Crockpot and serve on a whole wheat roll with chopped spinach, feta cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes and Greek yogurt for a Mediterranean take on a meatball sub.